The bountiful summer season brings a decadent array of seasonal, farm-fresh fruits and so many ways to enjoy them. Juicy watermelon, soft and ripe peaches, delightful mangoes, chin-dripping plum, vibrant cherries are bursting with sunny flavour from the season’s best. Pair-up your favourite seasonal ingredients with walnuts to create wholesome meals that may help you stay full for longer and beat the afternoon crash on a hot day.
Walnuts pair beautifully with these seasonal fruits because of the savoury-sweet harmony of flavours and are a great way to share the delicious taste of summer. These crunchy delights not only amp up the flavour of your favourite summer indulgences but elevates their nutrition value too. The versatile walnuts combined with your favourite summer fruits can help put together an entire menu, complete with starters, salads, and even a dessert.
Here are simple and easy recipes using just a few staple ingredients, seasonal fruits and California walnuts.
California Walnuts Kuliye Ki Chaat – By Celebrity Chef Varun Inamdar
Ingredients: 1 cup seasonal fruits, cut into squares, 1 cup seasonal vegetables cut into squares, 1/4 cup black-eyed peas, boiled, 1/2 cup California walnuts, chopped roughly, 2 tablespoons fresh pomegranate seeds, Salt to taste, 1 tablespoon chaat masala, 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Place all the fruits and vegetables in serving plate. Squeeze the lemon juice and sprinkle salt, red chilli powder and chaat masala.
- Add back eyed peas, pomegranate seeds, chopped California walnuts and mix.
- Serve immediately.
Goat Cheese, Griddled Cherry and Gremolata Toast – By Celebrity Chef Sabyasachi Gorai
Ingredients: Small bunch flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
Zest of 1 orange, 1 small clove of garlic, minced, 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
A pinch of salt and pepper, 100g cherries, cut in half and destined, 8 slices of sourdough bread, 120g soft goats’ cheese, 60g California walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- To make the gremolata, mix together the parsley, orange zest, garlic and extra virgin olive oil, and season to taste.
- Heat a griddle pan until searing hot, then place the cherries in cut side down. Sear for two minutes.
- Lightly toast the bread until golden brown and spread each slice with the goats’ cheese. Top each toast with the cherries and gremolata and finish with a sprinkle of walnuts to serve.
Grilled Peaches with Ricotta, California Walnuts and Honey – By Celebrity Chef Sabyasachi Gorai
Ingredients: Peaches (4 medium ripe peaches, halved, pit removed
1 teaspoon vegetable oil)
1/2 cup ricotta
1/2 cup California walnuts
1/4 cup honey
4 fresh mint sprigs
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place walnuts on a baking sheet. Toast walnuts for 5 minutes. Remove from oven. Roughly chop when cool.
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Clean and lightly oil your grill. Brush each peach half with oil (or spray with cooking spray) on both sides.
2. Grill peaches cut down for 4-5 minutes until grill marks form. Flip with tongs and grill another 1-2 minutes until peaches are slightly tender. Remove peaches from grill and place on a large plate.
1. To serve, place two peach halves on a plate or in a small bowl. Top each half with ricotta and chopped toasted walnuts. Drizzle with honey and garnish with mint. Serve warm.