This National Walnut Day, put your battle for Health vs. Taste to rest as California walnuts are here to sway all your worries away! This year, pledge to gain good health from one of the most versatile and nutrient-dense foods around.
Not only can walnuts add flavour and a little crunch to sweet and savoury dishes, but they also pack a healthy punch.
So what are you waiting for? Get set to lead a healthier life with the sweet, nutty twist of California walnuts. Here are our top picks of walnut recipes to celebrate the king of nuts – California walnuts!
California Walnut Pancakes with Maple Walnut Butter
Ingredients: 125g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 medium egg
2 tablespoon maple syrup + extra to serve
50g California walnut pieces, chopped + extra to serve
Oil for shallow frying
1 ripe banana, sliced
For the walnut butter:
50g butter, softened
2 tablespoon maple syrup
25g California walnut pieces, chopped
- To make the walnut butter, whisk the butter and maple syrup together until pale, stir in the walnuts and set aside.
- Place the flour and baking powder in a medium bowl and mix to combine. In a jug, beat the egg and maple syrup into the buttermilk and whisk into the flour mixture, stir in the walnuts.
- Heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan and add 4 tablespoons of batter to make 4 pancakes. Cook for 2 minutes each side and repeat to make 8 pancakes.
- Serve topped with walnut butter, banana, a drizzle of maple syrup and extra walnuts.
220g of water
130g of flax seeds
140g of walnuts
30g of sesame seeds
- Grind the flax seeds
2. Crush the walnuts and sesame in the grinder.
3. Add the flax seeds, walnuts and sesame to the water, mix and leave to stand for 20 minutes.
4. Stretch them very well in a baking tray with vegetable paper, leaving a very thin layer.
5. Bake 20 or 25 minutes at 180°C until dry and crisp. Serve with a dip of your choice.
Chicken With Walnut Sauce
4 chicken breasts
60g of walnuts
100g of oatmeal
4 tablespoons of honey
4 teaspoons of soy sauce
Spices to taste
- Crush the oatmeal and walnuts, without transforming them into flour.
2. Mix the honey with the soy sauce.
3. Cut the chicken breasts into small pieces.
4. Dip each piece into the soy sauce and honey, pass it through the mixture of oats and walnuts and place in the baking tray with vegetable paper.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown at 180°C.
Recipes shared by Celebrity Chef Sabyasachi Gorai