Home interior is the reflection of one’s personality, values and sense of style. As nowadays, people are more focusing on their health and respecting the environment, they want this to be reflected in their home décor as well. Hence, they are using more of indoor plants to improve the quality of air and to beautify their living rooms, lobby area and even the bedrooms and bathrooms. They are a great enhancement to any home décor. Plants make houses prettier and a better place to live in. It not only bring varying rich shades of green colours to the home but also visually enhances the perception of your space. Plants also help in improving concentration, productivity, creativity, reduce stress and bring positive vibes in the house.
Indoor plants are one of the most organically searched categories on Ferns N Petals and Syngonium, Two Layer Bamboo and Money plants sell maximum in this category. Then comes the Terrariums (Money Plant, Jade, Syngonium and Sansevieria are some of the preferred plants in Terrariums), which have a unique design, look & feel. There are lots of ways in which you can include plants into your home’s décor and don’t all involve the classical vases and pots. Many new designs and shapes have come up now, like shell shape, white half-moon shape, fish shape, imported plastic pots, recycled plastic pots, mug shape, smiley vases, etc. One can also incorporate a mixture of large potted plants with tiny pots. Let us have a look at some favourite categories of indoor plants.
- Money Plant- Can be placed indoor & outdoor both. This plant originated in Mo’orea, which is a high island in French Polynesia. Money plants can be placed in living rooms and on bathroom windows. They can also be put in the aquariums. They also provide essential nutrients for the fish. Each branch of a money plant has 5 leaves. In Feng Shui, these five leaves of the branch represent the five elements of Feng Shui; metal, wood, water, fire and earth. These five elements in the leaves are said to attract prosperity to the owner.
- Bamboo Good Luck Plant- This indoor plant is originated from Tropical rainforests of South-east Asia and Africa. Three layers of Lucky Bamboo is said to be one of the most favourite number combinations to have in your home. It brings three kinds of luck to you: Happiness (Fu), Long Life (Soh) and Wealth (Lu).
- Syngonium Plant- It is native to South America. It is also known as the Arrow Head Plant owing to its interesting arrow-shaped leaves. It is believed that this plant helps in reducing stress, anxiety, and sleep disorders.
- Aglaonema Green & White Plant-Aglaonema plant with green and white leaves is a low maintenance plant whose roots remove a massive amount of toxic elements from the air.
- Ficus Dwarf Plant- Ficus is native to Asia and Australia. It is the official tree of Bangkok. The ficus plant is great at eliminating pollutants coming out from carpets and furniture like formaldehyde, benzene, and trichloroethylene.
- MILT Sansevieria- It is an Air Purifying Plant. MILT Sansevieria is a species in the family Asparagaceae, native to tropical West Africa from Nigeria east to the Congo. This plant is one of the best for filtering out formaldehyde, which is common in cleaning products, toilet paper, tissues and personal care products.
- Succulents – Haworthia Cooperi Plant, Haworthia Attenuata Plant, Haworthia Limifolia Plant, Jade Plant
- Haworthia Cooperi grows in clumps of small rosettes of tiny, fleshy, light green leaves. Its short stem produces many leaves that are just long enough to reach the soil surface, the transparent tips allowing light into the factory below.
- Haworthia Attenuata, an exotic succulent plant that can be grown insufficient water and light.
- Haworthia Limifolia Keithii plant looks awesome with its green striped horn-shaped leaves. The leaves are spread at the bottom and are pointed at the end.
- Jade Plant originates from South Africa, but it can be found in temperate regions all over the world today. It is a perennial plant. It has a life span of more than 2 years. It is a low-maintenance succulent with delicate pink or white flowers that bloom in the spring.
- Chamaedorea Plant- It is an Air Purifying Plant and can be placed indoor as well as outdoor. One plant in 6 to 8-inch diameter containers can clean the air in roughly 100 square feet of floor space. Chamaedorea is a genus of 107 species of palms, native to subtropical and tropical regions of the Americas
- Areca Palm Plant-It is among the best indoor plants as they discharge the bounteous amount of moisture into the air and cleanse it.
Indoor plants are the best options to add greenery to interiors, purify the air, bring in positivity and make any space feel bright, lively, and gorgeous. They warm up the aura of the entire house and create welcoming vibes, along with visually enhancing the perception of your home. Add aesthetic beauty to your home by selecting any of the above plants or a combination of two or three plants (in the form of dish garden).
Few Tips to keep your indoor plants green and healthy
- Keep plants in medium-light locations, out of direct sunlight. Natural light is best, but some plants can also thrive in office fluorescent light.
- Plant soil should be kept moist at all time. Be careful to avoid overwatering. Avoid wetting plant leaves excessively. A spray of water should help in the case of flowering plants.
- Avoid placing plants in trouble spots, such as near heat or air conditioning ducts.
- The plant should be kept in a cool spot (between 18-28^C) for best performance.
- Remove waste leaves and stems from time to time.